Karen Bean has been a Green Bird since February attending 3-5 classes consistently. She always brings a positive attitude and gives every move her all. We've seen her improve in leaps and bounds in the past 7 months. Karen is so strong and has beautiful technique. We couldn't be happier that she is the first Green Bird of the Month! Learn more about Karen and how awesome she is below!
Green Bird of the Month
- 1) Where are you from?
- I was born in Wisconsin but lived most of my life in California. Austin has been my home for nearly 9 years now.
- 2) What do you do for a living?
- I am a Vice President at an Austin Financial Services firm called Kestra Financial. I specialize in due diligence for alternative investments and advisory products. I travel all across the country and work with the most interesting people. In my department, we call ourselves “Nerds with Personality”.
- 3) Do you have a personal motto or something to keep you motivated when things get tough?
- My dad is a former Marine. When times are tough, I always here my dad telling me, “Marine- take that hill.” I have had to climb my fair share of “hills” in my life but having that motto always gets me to the top.
- 4) What’s your favorite restaurant or meal after a long day?
- I am a recovering Vegan. Although I am eating more types of food these days, give me a good vegetable peperonata or a ratatouille with a glass of red wine and I am so happy.
- 5) If you could have a dinner party with any famous people, living or dead, who would they be?
- My dinner party would have fun people like Lucille Ball, Bill Murray, Peter Sellers and of course Steve Martin. I think that would be a very fun group.
- 6) How does Green Bird Fitness help you keep in shape and move?
- I love mixing up Pilates, Yoga and Barre every week. I am never bored and I am always finding a new way to challenge myself. Barre and I may not always be on “speaking terms” but I keep going. I recently had a massage therapist remark on how much muscle mass I had. I told her about Green Bird. She said that she wanted to stop the massage and go workout. How can I stop going to the classes when I hear comments like that?
- 7) What do you like most about Green Bird Fitness?
- The studio is not intimidating and everyone that I meet is so nice. It is great to find a place where real people can come workout get more fit without judgement. I appreciate that I can be me, messy pony tail and all.
- 8) Tell us one or two interesting facts about you that we wouldn't guess by looking at you.
- I am a trained chef and can cook anything for any one at any time. I love making a meal from a random ingredients I have on hand. Creativity in the kitchen is a fun hobby that my family and friends get to enjoy with me.
Leading up to this photo Karen had been working hard on her balance in mermaid during Yoga Flow for weeks. This was a wonderful moment when it all clicked and Karen just floated up into this balance. Great work, Karen!