This summer marks Erika's one year anniversary here at Green Bird! I can't believe how fast time has flown by with this early Green Bird. Erika is one of the brave early risers and consistently comes to the 5am classes Monday through Friday. The whole Green Bird team is so inspired by Erika's dedication to her health and fitness over the past year (she's completed EVERY challenge we've held!) that we just had to celebrate her as the August Green Bird of the month! Read on to learn more about this adventurous teacher and native Austinite!
August Green Bird of the Month: Erika Pesek
August 8, 2017
- Where are you from?
- Austin, TX
- What's your day job?
- I teach Pre-AP Geometry at James Bowie High School.
- Do you have a personal motto or something to keep you motivated when things get tough?
- I have a favorite Bible verse which I always rely on when I am facing challenges in my life. It is Jeremiah 29:11 and it says, “’For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”
- What’s your favorite restaurant or meal after a long day?
- After a long day, I really love something warm and comforting (except for maybe during hot weather). My go-to lately has been Osso Bucco (which we can prepare pretty quickly in our Instant Pot) and a nice glass of Pinot Noir.
- If you could have a dinner party with any famous people, living or dead, who would they be?
- I do not really obsess over famous people, and I would probably rather have a dinner with loved ones I have lost. However, I think it would be fun to have a dinner party with Von Miller, Ann Richards, and Leon Uris.
- How does Green Bird Fitness help you keep in shape and move?
- Green Bird Fitness has been a God send for me, and it all started with a Groupon in June 2016. I am naturally a stress monger, and I often internalize things until they manifest as knots in my shoulders or cause a mini meltdown. Exercising regularly at Green Bird Fitness the past last year has made my stress knots all but go away. I feel better after working out, and it has provided me a healthy outlet for stress. Plus, it helps challenge my body while at the same time being low impact.
- What do you like most about Green Bird Fitness?
- It is hard to narrow it down to one thing I like the most about Green Bird Fitness. If I have to give one thing, then it would have to be the instructors. All of the instructors are super supportive and motivating. I am not naturally inclined to enjoy exercise (just not in my nature), but all of the instructors create fun class environments where I can almost forget I am “working out”.
- Where is your favorite place to travel to?
- I love travelling to places where I can do lots of outdoor activities, especially hiking. As a result, my current favorites are Colorado and Oregon.
- What’s on your bucket list?
- I want to travel extensively in Alaska. It would be amazing to pair a week-long cruise with a two-week extent on land.